View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Default Cuban card forgery on ebay - Mendez

Posted By: Sean Coe

As the Ebay seller of this card I was stunned when Ryan emailed me. The rather terse message simply stated that my card was a forgery and that he was going to contact the winning bidder. Frankly I questioned his motives, but at the same time with the cards authenticity being called into question felt there was little choice but to call off the auction. I cancelled the bids, informed the bidders of the situation and ended the auction. Ryan later contacted me with a full explanation as to why the card was a fake and a telephone conversation provided further info. It seems the auction house knew these cards were possible forgeries, but auctioned them anyway. Ryan told me of his efforts to help all the winning bidders of these cards obtain refunds and that he assumed or at least hoped I would be contacted, the one bidder he couldn't find. I was never informed of anything. I would never have bid on, much less attempted to sell the card at all except I thought it came from a trusted source- an auction house with, at least then, an excellent reputation. I want to thank Ryan for emailing me-it was a rather bitter pill to swallow but hopefully has eliminated the last of these forgeries.

Sean Coe