View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Default Cuban card forgery on ebay - Mendez

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Just in case someone on this board is bidding on it, ebay item #4128682776 "Rare Cuban Baseball Card of Negro League Great Mendez" is a fake. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=4128682776

In fact the whole issue is a fraudulent one. It was created by using images from the Tomas Gutierrez set. It started to become obvious when only 7 or 8 examples had ever turned up and 3 of them happened to be Pop Lloyd, 2 of them happened to Jose Mendez, etc. Strangely, no examples of Hector Magrinat or Cheo Ramos, for example, were ever auctioned.

These were all sold through one auction house and I had thought the issue had been resolved and all examples taken care of (burning them, for example). I believe I am aware of who the creator of these was as well.

In case anyone has any doubt of this being the same card, I'm including a better scan of the one from the auction. Notice the spot in the upper left corner and the spot in the upper right corner near the border. Clearly the same card.

I've advised the seller but have yet to hear a response and the auction has not been pulled so I will also be contacting the high bidder once the auction ends.

-Ryan