View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=62corvette;1518519]Winter, early 1972, an old farmer from Max, ND called me. I had called in to the Friday morning "swap shop" radio show in Minot looking to buy baseball cards, and he responded. I went to his house, and onto his oilskin tablecloth on his old round oak table, he poured out 1100+ T206 and T205 cards. He had collected them as a kid in NYC. I had no idea of the value, and he wanted to give them to me, because he had kept them, always hoping to find someone who wanted them. I forced $20 on him. By a year later, I had traded with a number of people through the Trader Speaks, and had completed my T205s (less Hoblitzell variations) and had 520 different T206's. One of the T205s was a Hindu back, and I wrote Richard Egan who had master checklists. It was the first one reported.
So, most of mine are still 2nd-owner cards.
By the way, in the summer of 73 I had a chance to buy a low-grade Wagner for $600. My monthly salary was $550 and we had a baby, so I passed on it. My wife told me I should borrow the money and buy it. She still brings that up every once in a while.[/QUOTE

That's a great story! Sorry abut the Wagner though 😁