View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 03:08 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
We can agree to disagree. That is fair, thus my presentation of facts. You defeat your own point for 7 not 6 a side handball by saying you personally have not heard of it. That should not be a disqualifying factor for a sport. There are more than 25 leagues worldwide, mostly in Europe, but also Australia, Turkey, India and Tahiti. It is also a U.S. college sport. for both men and women. I believe the U.S. Military Academy won both men's and women's NCAA championships this year and North Carolina is one of the strong schools in the sport.

Chess is a game, not a sport, thus it would not qualify. Horses are not athletes. An athlete is a human being, not an animal.

Cricket is not practical. A side can last for hours. A single match can take several days. I have watched The Ashes and other matches during multiple trips to Australia.

Rugby is a great addition. Rugby 7's is faster paced than the regular game. The great thing about this sport is that a small island country like Fiji is a beast in rugby 7's and could medal in the men's competition. The U.S. won the last two Olympic rugby championships - 1920 and 1924.
T20 cricket could be adopted and several of the less-popular sports could be dropped etc.

Are horses then equivalent to bikes or vaulting poles in your estimation? Get the best one off a shelf and combined with your fitness and talent, poof you are able to qualify for the Games? If the horse doesn't want to jump over the obstacle etc, you aren't likely to clear it cleanly.

I could care less about wrestling, sailing, BMX etc but feel they are fine to be included. People around the world enjoy these sports. You can claim that it is the same for the others I mentioned, but they don't make the grade IMO.

Chess is a game, but so too, in my estimation is standing still or lying prone and concentrating to accurately shoot an air rifle.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 08-07-2016 at 10:32 AM.