View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Default E107 - Type I vs. Type II

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I had the opportunity to speak with Andy about this earlier today and I wanted to share a really neat point that he made about the Type 2s and why there are so few of them. As we've discussed today, it would make sense Type 2s were originally a part of the boxes that the candy/caramels came in. If you think about it, remember those boxes/sets of Topps that you'd buy back in the 80s? Those had similar "cards" printed on them as well. On each box, there were 4-5 "cards" of some of the players within the set and if you cut those out, they'd obviously be on a thicker stock than the normal cards. Very similar in nature to the relationship between Type 1 and Type 2 e107s. I think that there were a set number of players pictured on the boxes the candy came in and that is why so few Type 2 specimens have been found. I need to find one of those boxes Topps produced so I can cut one up and have a nice "Type 2" 1988 Topps Jose Canseco!

Man, we're coming up with some breakthru stuff today. I'm going to need to write a follow-up article now.