View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default Complete or near-complete N172 player sets?

Posted By: Joe_G.

520 different players / managers / umpires / mascots it is, I stand corrected.

There are 19 different California League cards as Jay stated, but one of them, Veach, can also be found with St. Paul (3 poses with St. Paul, 1 with Sacramento) so his card as a player isn't as difficult. So guys like Richard Masson with no desire to collect the California League cards would be complete at 502.

It should also be noted that the total number of poses varies depending on whether you count N173 cabinet poses. There are a significant number of N173 cabinets featuring poses not known on the smaller N172 cards, 34 I believe. So the numbers, to the best of my knowledge, break down as follows:

1887-1890 N172 Old Judges
520 different baseball subjects
502 different baseball subjects minus California League Cards (502 includes Veach with St. Paul)
2,418 catalogued N172 poses, 2,452 if you include N173 unique poses

Include team changes and even year-to-year re-issues with same team together with spelling and minor layout variations and the number becomes astronomical.

If you subtract out the 19 California League cards/poses, you have 2399 N172 poses representing 502 players for an average of 4.78 poses per player.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Jay Miller for his sharing over the years, without which I wouldn't have nearly as much to contribute to this thread.

-----------------------------------------

For those that follow SGCs N172 Registry, they have their own unique numbering system with several mistakes as follows:

Missing from list, need to add:
Leighton Gibson
Harry O'Day
John Weyhing
Whitacre

Need to Remove:
McCreachery

Skipped Numbers:

With all these corrections, SGC would show 520 N172 subjects.

Regards,
Joe Gonsowski