View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default Complete or near-complete N172 player sets?

Posted By: Jay Miller

I think we need to correct some of the numbers in this thread. The last Cartophilic Society lising had 512 different players. Since that time 14 have been added(Davin, Flynn, Fudger, Gibson, Hapeman, Levy, McDonald, Meegan, O'Day, O'Neill(Oakland), Powers, Stockwell, Sylvester and Veach). Six players previously thought to be different players are now thought to be repeats of other players in the set (Burns(KC)=Burns(Omaha), F.W. Foster=Forster, Healy=Healy, Kelly(manager)=Kelly(umpire), McCreachery=Deacon White, O'Neill(moustache)=O'Neil(no moustache)). That would place the total number of different players in the set at 520. There are 19 California League players which would put the total of non-California League players at 501.
To answer Adam's question there are just over 2450 different poses of these 520 different players in the set. Also, to my knowledge there is now only one unique team variation. In Dave Levin's find there was an additional copy of Collins-Lowells found. Up to that time there was only one known copy of a card with the Lowells team designation,. The only unique team that I know of is Irwin-Wilkes Barre.