View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I have four from years back:

I was the next to last sig for Willie Mays. A Kid was in line ahead of me w a book. Mays barked WHAT IS IT then when the kid told him. GIVE ME THE BOOK. The my ball was next. sloppy and smeared and rolled to me, and I later gave it away as a card show prize.

Met Mickey Mantle for six bucks at a car show. He had a cold, but still smiled and at least shook hands.

Met B Robby at a show, and he was incredible. HONORED that people cared bout him and his career.

My fave was when I was getting a Dennis Eckersley sig at a show I set up at. Eck wasn't in the Hall and was playing for Oakland at the time. Anyways, he was nice to me, but the little boy ahead of me was nervous to meet him. Eck asked him what was wrong. The kids dad told him he was nervous. Eck said "hey sonny, come here, he sat the kid next to him in a chair, took two pics and gave him an additional free signature too. The smile on the little boy and the look on his dad's face made my day.
Love your meetings, too bad Mays was such a jerk! Eck is too funny...He actually lived for a while in Sudbury, MA when I was working for a local grocery store. I see Eck coming down the aisle one day, grab a sign off the shelf and ask him to sign it...he was cracking up at that move. But, also got KC Jones, Jeff Reardon, Lee Smith, Danny Darwin and Oil Can Boyd all while working for the grocery store.

Last edited by 7nohitter; 02-06-2012 at 03:28 AM.