View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default Scarcity and Value Cards vs Memorabilia

Posted By: Joann

Dan/Barry,

I have noticed what you mentioned about collecting non-cards since I have ventured into my sideline of images of female players pre-1920. It is cool that each is unique, and when I run across one it is seeing it (most of the time) for the very first time.

But I definitely feel more like I am in a fog. As I discussed upthread, I don't have the firm underpinnings of value, rarity, and context that I have with cards. As a result I have stumbled in the pricing/value arena, possibly offending someone once and definitely embarassing myself as well. But I'm getting better at it!

I do know what you mean about how cool it is to have unique things that don't appear on a hundred lists and price guides and registries and ebay searches. There is something more exciting about the discovery and acquisition.

However, as I have accumulated several I have noticed one jarring thing. When I show my cards (mainstream vintage) and the female images to people unfamiliar with the hobby, I have much more to say about the cards. I can talk about the player, the issue, the set, the era, the team - all kinds of stuff. (Aside: Know what is one of the most very basic things that really fascinates people the most? When you tell them that tobacco cards are the size that they are because that was the size of cigarette packages - 10 per pack and no filter. For some reason people find that very interesting.)

But with the female player images (PC's, cabs and photos) I usually have little or nothing to say beyond "here it is, doesn't it look cool?" There may be generic conversation about uniforms or what individual people look like, but I have no real knowledge to pass on. They fly or die on the image alone, and there is very little context I can add.

If I had more time to research maybe I could change that. I definitely am getting hooked on this aspect of collecting, but have to admit that I do sometimes miss the built-in "story" that automatically comes with most cards.

J