View Single Post
Old 08-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default Evolution of collecting habits (aka "slow Thursday")

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Again a similar story, although it is obvious that I am older than most of you. I started collecting pop bottles and exchanging them for 48 Leafs. The little bottles were 2 cents and the big ones were 5 cents so my collection and Bob Olshansky's grew rapidly as we could find many bottles along the Boston - Worcester Pike on our way to Cashman's store in Natick. I still have those cards with others, unfortunately many of the Leafs have a scotch tape mark on the front top. No sleves in those days. My step grandad worked in a rexall drugstore and he gave me a group of 200 or so 33 goudies that he had from a promotion that was run at the time. You could bring in 1 or 2 cards and get a prize of some sort and the cards would be cancelled by punching a distintive hole through the trademark. I still have many of these cards and am getting them slabbed - I know they will all be 1's, but they still look great. I continued to collect cards into college. I stopped in 62 because I didn't like the 62 cards. I did go to college in Boston and in my freshman year I would walk from MIT accross the Harvard Bridge to Fenway to see Williams last games. I could get there about 2:15 from a 1:00 class and yes I did get to see his last at bat from the bleachers for free. My son got me reinterested in cards in the mid eighties and I am now focused on 48 Leafs, T204's (have traded with scott - thanks), but upgrades are really hard now. A lot of my remaining T204 dups including a set of square borders will be in Mastro's next auction. I am also working on E92's, E93's and E103's and all Boston players from 19th century thru Williams. As a kid the Braves first baseman Earl Torgeson lived accross the street and would get us tickets to Braves games. My mom was a Braves fan and my dad a Sox fan, who as a kid did get to see Ruth in the right uniform. I'm an Architect living in Florida now but I still hope to see the Sox win one before I'm gone.