View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default Evolution of collecting habits (aka "slow Thursday")

Posted By: rob

My interest in 19th century baseball began about a dozen years ago when I picked up about 20 Old Judge cards at a card show in Kansas City. The condition of the cards was about good on average and the guy had them for quite some time and couldn't sell them. I bought them for between $5 and $10 each and didn't even realize myself what I had. Unfortunately, Kansas City doesn't (or at least didn't) have anything in the way of vintage material at card shows. Conversely, when something like this showed up nobody knew what they had. My gain I guess but, anyway, that jump-started my interest. I putted around with it for awhile until my favorite auction of all time came around - The Mark Rucker Collection. Wow! I didn't win anything except the civil war diary that had some baseball content (that actually started me into civil war diary collecting, but that's another story) but the material was out of this world. After a bit I diverged into the civil war material for awhile but just got back into the vintage baseball material in the last year. I buy and sell a few Old Judges (ramram on ebay) but like Jimmy and Scott I am mostly interested in team and multi-player images from the 1800's. More players for your buck I guess. I believe I will try throwing up a new thread and show a few of these images to see if the board members can help identify a few of these guys. Anyway, up to this point I'm still mostly a reader and not a writer to this board but I might start posting a little more.