View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 06:32 AM

Default mountaineer....

These are the coolest of the T206!(imho).....they are all I pretty much collect exclusively, but are extremely expensive now.....printer's scraps were never meant to make it into circulation......these were sheets used by the printer in 1909-1911 to set up the presses.....they used "mistake" or "scrap" sheets that were discarded......these sheets were utilized to see if there was enough ink in the ink wells, make sure the sheets were aligned correctly, oriented the sheets on the presses right way , ect, ect.....the printer would use the "scrap" sheets multiple times to set up the presses as not to waste any clean, good sheets...that's how a lot of the "overprint" ghosts were born like bender and merritt.......

in turn, the "scrap" sheets used to set up the presses were discarded....thrown in the scrap heap, on the floor, in the garbage, ect.....the printers, workers, or whomever recovered the sheets from the scrap heap or garbage pile took them home....btw....no known full sheets of t206 are known to exist, and there are many mysteries of the printing of t206 still to this day....that's why the printers scraps and factory cut print/ freak errors are so heralded today....they give insight into the mysteries of the printing, and are actual "puzzle " pieces if you will....these cards never made it into packs.....true print scrap are all hand cut and not factory issued

at some point, the multiple sheets that were recovered were hand cut.....no one knows exactly who kept the sheets or who cut the cards out.....(was prob many different individuals over the years ....kids...collectors....employees....designers... .ect...)...it obviously happened over the 3 year span the cards were printed in nyc at the building which still stands today(I forgot the addy, but many know it here)....the cards could have been cut years later....some were prob cut back in 1909-1911 when the cards were produced....ir maybe years later....who knows....all I know is by accident, these rarities were created and are "freakishly" cool......the more dramatic or "weird" the better.....

the printers in advertently "created" T206 "freak" cards which are now cherished today by collectors, and the market is still young....not too long ago, collectors thought of these as "trash"..... you could pick one up for a few hundred dollars.....now add a few zeros to that! collectors have realized how really rare and cool these things are! it becomes a treasure hunt in a sense....everyone wants a unique piece to put in their T206 set....especially when they collect the whole set......etc...

some very very rare scraps were not "mistakes"....they are examples we see used in the design phase/development of T206(T206 proofs...wagner strip..some scrap that I own that are "pre"proofs" I have been told but not confirmed yet).....

I have become the biggest advocate over the last 15 years or so for these "beauties" as I call them.....each one is COOL....unique unto themselves.....super rare....one of a kinds.....alternative T206....

The mysteries of the set ARE STILL BEING DISCOVERED TODAY! each day, we almost learn something new about the set....there are many scholars of the set who post here....a lot of us are regular guys like myself...(I'm just obsessed with the set).....

I started collecting these in '99 (T206).......within the first year, I found my first "scrap" by accident....I had interest in the "factory cut mistakes "at first( 2 name t206, off register, miscut backs ect)..because they were different in an alternative way....but they were issued and put into the packs.....they were cool errors, don't get me wrong, but I needed more.....then I found a miscut back with 2 sovereign backs showing, the card looked "weird" cause it wasn't an ordinary 2 back factory cut card.(I will try to find the scan)...the card was hand cut and "wavy" the borders looked weird.....then when I inspected closer, the front image of (butler) had a color shift.....then even closer inspection, the back has a overprint of another sovereign back! MY FIRST scrap!!! I discovered it back then in 2000 or so...I called my friend (JOHN DREKER) to come over my house and take a looksy....he confirmed my suspicions......my first scrap acquisition! it was like hitting the lottery ! a hidden gem amongst the sea of T206....it was over and I was hooked.....It has been a labor of love.....if you try hard enough, you can find one hidden on ebay or in a lot of cards....it happens today even! like new discoveries....

Check out T206resource.com (operated by 2 board members and contributed to by many here).....

also, read the article written by board member scott forrest about printers scrap....located on that site......

PHEW!!!

for you new one to the mayham....this has become one of my favorite cards....

a true NO NAME Chance port Piedmont back....Cycle overprint front ghost with a reverse front cylinder impression....this card is one of the centerpieces of my collection.........this sheet prob never had the name or team des. printed on the sheet(the measurements on the bottom have plenty of room with no paper loss).......the sheet was prob a mistake at first, then discarded on the side....at some point, the pressman prob picked this discarded sheet without names or team design. printed on it, then set the press up for the cycle print run next......sorry about the crumby pics(I have large raw scans if anyone wants to email me)...

enjoy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 144.jpg (73.5 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 161.jpg (74.7 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 162.jpg (75.0 KB, 404 views)