View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default A Troubling Hobby Developement

Posted By: FYS

"Someone mentioned that many of these card altering shenanigans were taking place in the 1990's, and that was certainly true. The response was the advent of the grading services, which were formed not only to grade but to detect these alterations. Now it is coming to light with greater frequency that altered cards are getting encapsulated anyway. What's the defense to that? Do cards that were graded five years ago have to be resubmitted to be looked at with ever greater scrutiny? I don't know the answer, but it is a serious concern. With regard to Rhys's post, what can the network54 community do to help clean up parts of the hobby that need policing? We are a pretty powerful and educated group, and there must be something a large field of experts can do similar to what Rhys suggested." - Barry Sloate

Barry,

You want reform Barry, you are actually one of the few people that could help push the effort. I have known for some time that the Wagner is trimmed. As many know, there is an East Coast Collector with before and after pictures. Bill and Barry also mentioned first hand knowledge of the trimming. Bill also mentioned that McNeil was aware the card was trimmed and insenuaded that Dave Hall is aware. There are obviously other (likely Mastro + others) with first hand knowledge of the trimming.

In any case, the hobby icon is altered. Until this is publically disclosed and reform is taken, then fraud and deception will certainly continue. I have felt for some time that it was acceptable to allow the trimmed icon to remain a lie with the general public for the good of the hobby. I no longer feel that is appropriate. I personally have absolutely no hobby clout, so someone like yourself would have to write an article detailing the true history of the Wagner. You talk about reform, but are you really prepared to stand up for it?

Final question, do you still submit to PSA knowing first hand that they knowingly have a trimmed Wagner and present it as the icon of the hobby?