View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 03:57 PM

Default Rugby Town Railway Station Sign

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_railway_station
Here is a railway station sign I picked up earlier this month at the Sacramento Antiques Fair...it's from the town of Rugby in Warwickshire, England where the sport of Rugby was invented about 1845 at Rugby School…which American football was partially modeled after…So I sort of got a little piece where football originated…Of course nobody knew those details and the seller didn't seem to have a clue anything about it…offered it to me for $60.00…Lotta bang for the buck kinda piece…Not real old but got a little wear enough I'm confident it's original...Subsequent research turned up the Station was named "Rugby Midland" from 1950 to 1970 when it was used to differentiate from “Rugby Central” railway station which served the competing “Great Central Main Line 1899-1969”. After Rugby Central station closed in 1969, the "Rugby Midland" name was changed to the current "Rugby Station"...So I'm confident it's pre 1970...Can't believe I managed to squeeze it in!!!

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-29-2018 at 05:42 PM.