View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Sitting

I'm not too impressed with sitting in order to ensure a batting title.
This year of course, Murphy was also sitting so one of the two champs was going to have to play or the results weren't going to change. I wouldn't feel as much that DJ backed into it if Murphy were playing.

Sorry Jeremy, the Reyes thing wasn't quite the same. It smelled bad to me at the time, but maybe because I am a Phillies fan and we are supposed to hate all things "Met"

Regarding another earlier comment, I disagree that sitting out the last few games is the same as sitting games out in the middle of the season.

First off, in June you aren't saving those at-bats thinking it will help you win a batting title...that's ridiculous at best.
You rest occasionally during the year to have energy to produce during the long season.
This was a deliberate attempt to preserve the top spot in batting average. It cannot be compared to May or June days off.

Winning the batting title is a great accomplishment, even with today's advanced stats. There are a lot of big leaguers who would be happy to stake that claim every season. Typically only us hardcore fans remember what details it took to win the crown...( a few classic races mentioned above)

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.