View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Default Is Memorabilia on the decline?

Posted By: Mike

One of the things that interests me, are items that formally belonged to the players. I have things that belonged to gehrig, Foxx, etc. etc. These are usually one of a kind items. They pop up, and are gone. I collect anything relating to Jimmie Foxx. Tickets, in games which he played. An award he was given. news and wire photos. Books or magazines where he appeared on the cover. Odd ball things such as the well known mini bats, and pens and pencils which bore his name. I could go on forever. But over the years, I have seen his wedding ring, his personal belt buckle. Shotguns belonging to hall of famers. I saw a christmas card from the gehrig family. etc. Price guides do not work. Each and every item, brings what some one is willing to pay. Would I pay a million dollars for Foxx's wedding ring ? No. Would I pay 5 thousand Yes. In a heart beat. maybe more. Memorabilia is different than cards. For the most part, cards are a known entity. They are cataloged, and tracked. Personal items cannot be organized, cataloged and tracked on a spread sheet.