View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Default Is Memorabilia on the decline?

Posted By: Greg Theberge

I'm still high on an amazing walk off win in the ninth over the Birds today (a 9th inning 6 run comeback)....but now that the dust is settling...

The greatest thing about "memorabilia" for me is, like Mike said, it's displayability. Displays of anything can be a great source of enjoyment.

I can't for the life of me see any enjoyment of having something if you can't look at it, especially if it's stuck in a safe deposit box somewhere. But if that's enjoyable to you, who am I to argue.

The stuff I've accumulated gets displayed on the wall, or in a case, like a piece of art. Not everyone will enjoy it the same way, but that's what makes it all so fun. Those who do appreciate it, see it as much more than just a dusty old piece of memorabilia. I've always enjoyed looking at what other people have put together as a collection, no matter if it's something that I would personally want to collect myself, or it's an assortment of stuff I would die for.

The second most important part of collecting is, of course, the people you meet. While online auctions take out the personal interaction you get from going to a show, at least these online forums give us the opportunity to chat with folks of similar intersts. I get just as much fun seeing a friend grab something for his collection (even if I would want it as well) as I do for getting something myself (plus it's a lot cheaper ). I know Mike H and I have given each other the heads up on stuff that pops up if we know the other guy would be interested in it.

I wonder if I'm making any sense here. I really don't care, I can't stop thinking of what happened at Fenway today

By the way in terms of memorabilia on the decline or whatever...

"Memorabilia" will continue to be hot and expensive as long as I keep collecting. I will absolutely guarantee you that the market will fall out and go down the tubes the minute I lose interest in this stuff and go to sell it I don't think anyone can argue that memorabilia is losing ground based on all of the recent auctions that have gone down. I certainly don't see a lack of good material out there, I just see a general lack of $$$ in my pocket to be able to buy it

And I probably shouldn't say this, but what the heck, I will (someone said we need to controversy on here to get things active).

I think the memorabilia market is more grounded in terms of placing a price on an item based on availabilty/rarity than the card market. I can't for the life of me see how certain cards bring in ridiculous numbers when there are countless examples for sale at EACH and EVERY major auction or show, that comes up. I have a few Sox cards in my collection, but I will never purchase some of them as I just can't justify their price. Take for example a 1913 Fatima team card. There isn't a day goes by on ebay when you can't buy one for $500 to $750 in crappy condition. I would much rather have a program for that price in which there are probably less than 20 known examples that exist. I know there is a much higher population of people looking for cards, but I can also tell you there is also a pretty high number of cards out there in some inventory (or at least there are in the number of shows I've been to). Now this isn't to say I'm anti-card, I'm not. I just don't get it, that's all.

Anyway...nuf ced of this Have a good night guys.

GO SOX ! We've got a tough week ahead of us.

Greg