View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Slightly off-topic, but this card demonstrates, to me at least, a ridiculous aspect of the standard grading system. Or maybe I just don't understand it--always a possibility! If your system goes from one to ten, presumably the differences between each grade should be about the same, no? Otherwise, why give them numbers where the difference is exactly the same between each grade? Give them names instead, like it used to be. Anyway, back to my point: This example of a beautiful card gets the same grade as a card that had been tossed into a puddle of diesel fuel, run over by a tank, then eaten and disgorged by a camel before being submitted to PSA. On the other end of the scale, you would need an electron microscope to tell the difference between a 9 and a 10. Somebody please explain this to me.
Hank,

You just hung a lantern on what has always struck me as the "fatal flaw" in the grading game. It's why I take their grades with a grain of salt, and why above all, we collectors are the ultimate judges of what's best to our eyes.