View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
I know this is the BST but this thread has a life of its own so if I may:

-I am not a 1952 Topps guy. I have a low number near-set in mid grade but have not bought a card in years. I have one (1) of each card that I have (and no Bartirome), so I don't really have a dog in this race.

-I find this kind of hoarding odd and more than a little annoying. Okay, I get the whole one for each of the kids, cousins, great-grand nephews, what have you. But unless the family in question looks like the one from the opening scene of Monty Python's Meaning of Life, I think they are covered and then some.

-so now we have an apparently well-heeled individual actively trying to corner the market on this card. To what end? Presuming he is a Bartirome relative does not obviate another profit-based motive. Again no crime in that, and maybe I am being cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now these reappeared in the market at inflated prices.

-I place this in the same category as Titus, 1964 Curt Flood, and other hoards known and unknown. Not my thing and an annoyance, I am sure, to set collectors everywhere.

-If I happen across a Bartirome at some store or show maybe I will buy it now. But I won't tell. Its my contrary nature.
Let me know if this potential future scenario would annoy you? Perhaps after I do not see a single Bartirome ever listed on eBay or auction houses across the net for an entire year straight, I will be content with my collection. Perhaps I will then set aside 20 of them for the descendants & the rest (100's at that point, I assume 10 years from now to not see one cross the net for a year), I will just flood eBay with all at once. You & others would then be able to buy them up for under $50 each maybe, since there will be hundreds of active auction style listings all going & ending at the same time. Wouldn't that be fun!

Until then, if you come across a #332, let my offer to pay double what you paid for it tempt you until you cave

I truly am not in #332 for the money. My $500/$1000 bills and gold/silver collections, YES.