Thread: Vintage Racing?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
After making payment for the Frank Lockhart card I won, I wrote the eBay seller asking if he could provide any additional information on the game and its cards. The seller did not know a lot, but he did have some interesting information:

"I purchased the cards several years ago, hoping to find the game that accompanied them but only recently was able to figure out what the game was. I had all of the information on a Word file on my computer and, just yesterday, my hard drive failed; and, to make matters worse, my back-up disk (external drive) was somehow wiped clean. I believe I was able to piece together information on the game from the results of an auction house and from a copy of the game at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum that I located through wikimedia. Here's the link.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...board_game.jpg

eBay sometimes removes links from communications between members so do a Google search for '1938 Indy 500 board game.' Look at images on the search and it should be on the right hand side of the fourth row down.

It would appear to be an exceptionally rare game that, to the best of my knowledge, has only sold once at auction.

Sadly, I purchased the cards so long ago that I no longer know where I did so. In the 1990s, I would go antiquing in Ohio and Indiana so it seems likely that it was on one of those trips. I just can't be sure."
I think this is a vastly underrated set. I recently suggested it to my friend Kin who I believe is also a member here. The Wilbur Shaw board game turns up from time to time at auction, but never with the cards, just the board and the “packaging”.