View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
I care about his price because there are several items I would want right now because of the quality of the item and the availability (can't find anywhere else at the time), but often times his price doesn't even leave me "on the fence". And I am not talking about just a $25 dollar autograph. My best example was a Pat Collins last year.. He had one listed, and I believe still does, at $1500. I really wanted it, but remained patient and ended up getting one six months later just as nice, if not nicer imo, for right under $1000. Had he had it a little more reasonably priced at lets say $1200, it might have been mine right now. Believe me, I'm not trying to knock Kevin or his pricing, I think he is great and I think his assistant Nitsa is great, but maybe financially, I am not in his target market. And that's fine, I'll still look at his site to fill holes and if I can bring him business, I will.
You actually weren't complaining, that was directed at the previous and other posts in the past that took Kevin to task for his prices. And I think you've explained the dynamics at work here pretty well with your personal example. You were willing to be patient and, more importantly, bring some work AND your hard-earned knowledge of the marketplace to bear in getting an acceptable substitute at a better price. I don't think collectors with your expertise are Kevin's primary targeted market. His tremendous inventory offers about as much of a "one-stop shopping" experience as you can find in the vintage autograph hobby. Also, the high end of his stock, all those amazing one-of-a-kind pieces, are anybody's guess as to true market value, and if you really want one, you're probably never going to find another quite like it anywhere else, and that's a big part of his business, too. As for your Pat Collins example, did you at least try to find out his best price for that? I'm just guessing here, but I'd be willing to bet that could have been had without any haggling at all for $1,200, and with some back and forth perhaps even closer to $1,000. You know how it works. He can be stubborn, sometimes, but he's not stupid, either, and I've seen him wheel and deal to make it work many times at the shows we do together, so I know it can be done. Anyway, good discussion about the hobby we love.
Hank