View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Kevin's been one of the largest volume vintage autograph dealers in the country for about 20 years now, so I guess his business model works for him. He's not making his living on $25 autographs, that's for sure. As a general proposition, I've never understood complaints about a dealer's prices. If you're not interested in an item, what do you care about his price? If you're interested in an item but can find it cheaper elsewhere, as in the example above, what do you care about his price? And if you're interested in an item but can't find it cheaper elsewhere, how can you complain about his price? So what's the point, exactly?
Hank Thomas
I wouldn't necessarily say I was complaining, but agreeing that I think his reputation is built into his price. He has a reputation as one of the most knowledgeable dealers and reputation of having nice stuff, but also has a reputation of having higher than average prices.

"If you're interested in an item but can find it cheaper elsewhere, as in the example above, what do you care about his price?"

I care about his price because there are several items I would want right now because of the quality of the item and the availability (can't find anywhere else at the time), but often times his price doesn't even leave me "on the fence". And I am not talking about just a $25 dollar autograph. My best example was a Pat Collins last year.. He had one listed, and I believe still does, at $1500. I really wanted it, but remained patient and ended up getting one six months later just as nice, if not nicer imo, for right under $1000. Had he had it a little more reasonably priced at lets say $1200, it might have been mine right now. Believe me, I'm not trying to knock Kevin or his pricing, I think he is great and I think his assistant Nitsa is great, but maybe financially, I am not in his target market. And that's fine, I'll still look at his site to fill holes and if I can bring him business, I will.