View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
You're right, nothing is more important than authenticity, but price is always a factor. My point is that, while you said earlier that dealers are pricing into their sales the cost of a TPA, the prices I'm seeing on the lists of the reputable dealers you have mentioned all seem to price their opinion into their numbers, nobody more so than Keating. He has some amazing stuff that I want, but not at those prices.
If you could magically remove all the bogus autographs from the hobby, thereby exposing the true rarity of the good ones, perhaps the prices asked by the handful of dealers with the golden reputations wouldn't seem so high all of a sudden. They know just how hard and expensive really great, legitimate stuff is to replace. The presence in the market of bad material drives the prices down for everything, good and bad alike. Each individual has to make buying decisions based on his situation and preferences, of course, but a truer perspective of the market value of genuine items would be revealed in a universe of only those competing with each other.
Hank Thomas