View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Steve, Very fair analysis, but even if true, Probstein could care less about what people think. I actually stuck up for him several years ago on N54, I absolutely regret it to this day.. To him, it's a numbers game, he doesn't give a damn about what people think personally. I first did business with him about 11 years ago when he was somewhat humble and unknown. Good luck with that now, and shame on Ebay for being such a coward over business versus business ethics..
I'm not defending him, never really dealt with him other than maybe 1 or 2 sales, but the level of paranoia that a guy selling thousands of items in a day is shilling every auction based on his understanding of the limits of certain bidders is really a little nuts.

Shilling is not without risks. . . . you end up paying ebay charges either way, and then presumably either end up with the item (and have to sell it again with more fees) or have to buy it back from someone doing you a favor. Seems like the economic costs of widespread shilling falling through might not be worth the time and money of someone selling this kind of insane volume, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

(Now whether shilling makes sense with a high ticket item, like a 52 Mantle or a 49 Jackie Leaf or Paige, is probably a separate discussion.)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-21-2017 at 06:43 PM.