View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Scott, you'll also want to be very careful when loading anything "smooth" (as in, the surface of most photos) into mylar sleeves, as the (I guess static?) friction does not lend itself to easily sliding such things in and out of the sleeves. If you can pucker the sleeve enough to slide it in with only the back touching, you may be okay. If it's a tighter fit though, you might want to use something like a comic backing board to help with loading and then slide it back out once the photo is in place.

I've never tried the mylar in a toploader, so I can't speak to the long-term situation there, but I have done photo in a polypropylene comic bag in a toplader which seemed to work well as far as ease of loading (and unloading, as I just left the flap dangling out the top like a pull-tab, though I guess you could also tuck it inside or trim it off). Probably not the most attractive long-term solution though, as the polypro bags tend to wrinkle over time.
Thanks, Lance. I bought my sleeves yesterday, but haven't started transferring them. Thinking that, since I'm about to put most of my photos up for sale, I'll probably just leave them as-is in top-loaders, then move my 'keepers' to mylar.

It was good to get the warning about the sleeves sticking to the top-loaders - that would be a bummer.