View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 PM

Default Exciting New Hobby Find - 1893 Just So Tobacco Buck Ewing!

Some of you may already be aware of this, but a gentleman in Pennsylvania has discovered a previously uncataloged 1893 Just So Tobacco Card of Buck Ewing. He is not an avid baseball card collector, though he still owns some of his cards from the 70's and 80's. He discovered the card about ten years ago during a home renovation, and recently decided to do a little research into the card. He contacted me several days ago, and may have contacted a few other members of the board as well.

The card is in rough shape, but who really cares. It is so exciting when a "card that should exist" turns into a card that really does exist.

The owner isn't sure at this point if he is going to sell the card or auction it. There is a good chance that he may choose to just keep it. He knows how rare the card is, and luckily has an appreciation for how cool it is as well.

The owner gave me permission to post about the card, but I'm going to protect his privacy and not post his name or contact information. I'm sure he would appreciate it if others who may have been contacted by him also allow him to be anonymous, at least for now.

I have shared a scan of the card that he sent me. Not a great scan, but certainly good enough to authenticate that the card exists. I hope that others are as excited about this find as I am. The Just So Tobacco set has always been one of my favorites. I used to own the Burkett, and the Young card is one of the most important baseball cards of all time. This is a welcome addition to the checklist. I hope Bob Lemke is reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JustSoEwing.jpg (15.8 KB, 704 views)