View Single Post
Old 09-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Ed

Default Champion Athletes proof sheet

Wow, fabulous post! I was wondering why some cuts had the left border but not others. Looks like my sheet without the border may fit lower right corner. I didn't anticipate that the sheet was so huge compared to most modern 132-card sheets. Love the backstory on the production process!

How many cards short of putting together a full sheet are we between these two groups of cuts?

Re: So Crispos, I have never seen a So Crispo back for sale; a friend knows I like track and field and kindly give one to me! I wouldn't be surprised if some other back(s) were made that didn't survive or are tucked away in a scrapbook somewhere esp. given how obscure this set is. Looks like the same blue ink for all of the back alternatives to National Licorice so maybe they were printed together in a different batch than National Licorice?

I also have owned, for many years, individual blank-backs of Ewry, Eller, Erickson, Gissing,Irons, Pilgrim, Smithson, Sheridan, Trubenbach. They are professionally cut, so guessing not from this sheet but sales person samples or distributed in very small numbers in products without advertising on the back of the cards. Though couldn't say for sure.

-Ed