View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
The game that came with the system - Super Mario. Took me about a week or so to beat the game the first time and I played it so often that I started going for fastest time to beat the game..then highest score possible..and then lowest score possible.

My wife's favorite game was Solomon's Key...I was at a garage sale and found one for her...brought it home and it wrecked my NES system..hasn't worked since I plugged that game in.
The game could just be dirty and simply dipping a Q Tip in some rubbing alcohol and scrubbing the contacts on the cartridge until they come clean will usually do the trick. Assuming you have the original front loading NES system where the games went in like a VCR, it might need the 72 pin connector replaced. You can buy a brand new connector on eBay for about $5. The main hassle with switching them out is that you have to go through over a dozen screws to get to it. I've replaced a ton of them and it still takes me about 15 minutes although I usually clean the circuit board and the inside of the case while I have it apart. Another option is to buy one of the later top loader NES systems (see below). They are way more reliable, but they usually run about $85 on eBay where you can buy an already refurbished front loader for half that. The only real problem with the top loaders is that the picture quality is pretty lousy since they only have an RF output. You can buy ones that have been modded for AV out, but they don't come up for sale very often. I paid $125 for my modded AV top loader, but considering how much I still play NES games, it was a pretty sound investment.

Last edited by Doug; 08-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.