View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Hank Thomas

I won an S110 Silk pillow case in the November Heritage auction for a little more than a grand (lesser condition, but nicely framed). They referred me to three Dallas shipping companies for third-party shipping, which surprised me to begin with because I assumed an outfit Heritage's size would do their own shipping. The lowest estimate was $230! I knew it would cost extra to ship glass, but had factored in $100 or so for that. I was so pissed I told Heritage to re-consign it to their next sports auction, and I really don't care if I lose money on that. I just wouldn't pay that much to have it shipped, that's all. If I put it on the wall, every time I looked at it I'd think of how much it cost just to get the damn thing. As for Hunt's, I just got a check for a past auction, minus $12 for items they returned as not worthy of the auction. But they had accepted those items personally at a show. So let's see here: you take my items in person, then when you get them back to the shop you decide they don't make the cut because now you have better ones for your auction, so you charge ME to return them. Good deal for YOU! We all know the shipping's padded, been part of the game for a long time, but don't insult me. Remember when that was a major profit center for eBay sellers, not so long ago? I don't know what changed, but nowadays eBay shipping is either cheap or, in many cases, free. Always makes me want to bid higher. Cool.
Hank Thomas