View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Tex....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Consider it from the newcomer's perspective, because once you're "in" of course you know the network. Auction houses aren't well advertised unless you're on mailing lists or post here, and they're frankly kind of intimidating and probably not the best choice for a beginner anyway. You're right, eBay helps, but you gotta know exactly what you're looking for. Most of the vintage baseball card internet sites I came across when I jumped in looked dead and few actually posted an inventory; however, there are several sites about vintage cards that are amazing for learning about the hobby. Much has been said in these forums about the lack vintage cards at local card shops or even at well-advertised shows.

Incidentally, I got my start on eBay and through the classifieds/craigslist. I went to one show (Chantilly), and it actually kinda turned me off.
While I would agree that some great pre-war cards get taken off of the market I think there is still a lot to go around. There are also a lot of great cards that get recycled. It's patience that counts when you are in a marathon. regards