View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
If anyone can give me a sense of when this was reproduced, why and any other pertinent information about the photo, I'd be very appreciative...Matt
When reproduced: 1929-1948

Why: Chase had retired before Burke began photographing players in 1929.

In what I can only assume was an attempt to create a complete catalog of baseball player images, Burke would run ads in The Sporting News (and other publications?) advertising not only that he had photos for sale, but also that he was seeking photographs of "old time" players for which he would trade photos of then-current players that he had photographed. He would then reproduce the photographs of the old time players to fill gaps in his catalog. I don't know what, if anything, he did to obtain the rights to reproduce the images, but he did at least acknowledge that they were reproduced with that particular back stamping.

Other details: So the photo you have would have been produced from a negative that was itself produced by re-shooting the original photograph (in effect, taking a picture of a picture). Technically, it would be a Type 4, or vintage reproduction, or vintage 2nd generation photograph, depending on your preferred nomenclature.

As Graig said, a nice desirable image, and I wouldn't get too caught up in the "reproduction" aspect of it (as your opposing bidders, or lack thereof, seem to have done). Nice snag!

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 09-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.