View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I just heard back from my Koufax collector friend. He stated that in his opionion the Koufax signature on your ball is absolutely not real FWIW.

Although my initial impression was that the Ryan signature looked legit, I am beginning to question the way the top of the "R" in Ryan appears to be labored and somewhat shaky on the right side. Ryan typically signs fairly fast, and the more that I look at the R, the more it looks as though the person that signed these labored through this pen stroke. David is correct that the "B" in Feller and the "R" in Ryan do look very much to be signed by the same signer. Typically, faked Ryan signatures that I see jump off the page at me. This one, not so much. I also tend to agree with David that the signer had spent alot of time working on getting the Ryan and Koufax right.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like you might have a trifecta of bad sigs on your ball. Sorry!
Thanks everyone for the insight and opinions. Good catch on the top of the "B" Bob and the "R" in Ryan being almost identical.

I purchased this from B&J Collectibles (NJ) in 1998. My heart sank when I was recently reading Operation Bullpen and B&J's name came up as being a buyer of Marino forgeries. I wasn't totally convinced however because B&J did sell some legitimate stuff as well as conduct private signings.

I just couldn't get past the Feller on this ball and my gut told me I had been duped. My experience is that when you have a bad feeling about a collectible, you are usually correct.

Well, feel free to save the images herein and file them under "Marino Family Forgeries."