View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 01:10 PM
∆|@π ¢h3π

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Since the card is also trimmed, WTF does it matter what a hypothetical number grade would be? That's the part I take issue with. The card is an "A" regardless... case closed.

The only real reason (IMO) that someone would care about a hypothetical number is for the prospect of buying it, and later trying to re-grade or pass it off as a numerically graded card.

And if this is really what the TPGs have "done right" (according to the OP), it might take an eternity to dig into everything they've done wrong.
Well, I mean, I'm trying to buy it. And I don't know how much to pay for it because not all Altered cards are created equal, right? Isn't that your larger point after all, to buy the card, not the letter or number designation? What do I ground my offer in then? Or do I just take the average sale price of an Altered example to the seller and say take it or leave it. It presents better than average imo and it wouldn't be fair to him. So much cynicism these days...I get it, I'm right there, but I really wonder what some of these negotiations these days look like. I imagine a lot of arm-crossing and pouting with a tinge of snorting.

Also, way to twist my point about the utility of a numerical grading system in theory into a defense of how the TPGs actually behave on the hobby. I will say, I'm not sure I see this level of paranoia as helping to make this hobby any better than Mastro and company.