View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Default $5800+ for a T206 common

Posted By: Bob

Does Julie know about this Klimt painting?

Seriously, I think there is a real problem inherent in these guying paying gadzillions for PSA 7s and 8s in the T206 set, one which I am sure they haven't even stopped to consider: there are a lot of collectors who have completed their T206 sets (less the Big 4) and an awful lot of those cards were acquired during the 70's, 80's and 90's and were purchased in what was then called "exmt" condition. These raw cards are floating around out there in collections and I'll bet you that many of them are high grade cards. For instance, although my set is average exish, my Schirm appears to be every bit as nice as the PSA 7 one which sold on ebay for a ton and I have others that also appear to be very, very sharp. like many collectors who completed this set a while ago, I have neither the time nor the inclination to have these commons slabbed and graded. My T205, 206, 207 and 212 sets are all in pocket pages and ungraded (as opposed to my caramel cards which with the exception of my E90-1 set are predominantly graded). I know of some old time collectors out there who have some really beautiful cards which are likewise ungraded and will remain so as long as they remain in the hands of those guys who grew up believing grading card companies were an abomination. Yes, these collectors do exist, just because they don't often post on this board does not mean they don't. Just a thought...
P.S. With regard to the post about my caramel card collection which has been entirely accumulated over the last 5-6 years and which I have acquired much, much more recently than the tobaccos, I do wish I were not so technologically illiterate when it comes to web pages and things, I'd love to be able to design and produce a website to display them as so many here have. For me, it is all I can do to figure out how to display scans and images of cards for sale on ebay and occasional postings here. I envy you guys who are masters at the art (and have the patience) to produce such sharp looking web pages to display their cards...