View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 11:08 AM
DR
David R@tliff

I probably have a good story to tell, but still need ONE card to finish my 1956 set. I'll save the story for completion of the set, but in the meantime...

Collecting interests change over time, but if you keep coming back to the same set/cards then those are obviously the ones for you. 1956 Topps is one of those for me.

My advice is this:
1 - Be patient. If you're still coming back again, you're obviously in it for the long haul.
2 - Be disciplined. Don't overspend just because of opportunity, because there will always be another opportunity to acquire the card(s).
3 - Be picky. Don't settle for something you know you won't like, regardless of price. You'll just end up replacing it later.
4 - Enjoy the process. The "goal" is obviously completion, but it is the hunt that's probably the most fun part. That and the people you find that help you out along the way.

I've been working on this set for probably 5+ years now, and I've been one card short for a number of months now. I missed one a few weeks ago, but I'm sure another will come up soon. I'm really looking forward to going through them all again when I find it. Who knows what happens after that, but I could definitely see myself building this set again.