View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I been in the place where I have built a 1973 Topps baseball set as it was the first set I collected as a kid but decided after I was done that I no longer wanted it and used the funds to move onto my next challenge. It was only after doing some serious reminiscing that I realized how much that 1973 set meant to me and decided to assemble it once again. So here I am working on this set for the third time in my life and enjoying the thrill of the hunt once again.

I have also built a 1955 Bowman set due to the fact that it held a sentimental meaning to me for a crazy reason. I had a classmate in third grade give me a shopping bag full of cards that were her grandfathers (or her fathers....time has taken that part of this memory away from me) and I was so excited I could not stop looking at them even though class had started. I was in a strict Lutheran school at the time and old Mrs. Bickle took the cards away from me and I never saw them again. In that shopping bag was mainly 1955 Bowman cards so I always wanted to complete that set to remove the "what if" from my mind. I assembled 95% of the set with most of the big cards and realized whatever anger I held at my teacher was now gone and I no longer wonder "what if" as I had actually owned these cards. I have since sold off the partial set and have not looked back.

For me at least, the reasoning for needing to rebuild the set after selling it off previously was mostly for sentimental reasons. I have no tips or thoughts to provide other than to say you need to follow your heart and do what you feel is best for you. That is what makes this hobby great.
Great advice, thank you for giving me hope...