View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default I really hate waking up to see this over and over again...

Posted By: Bob

Cobby- I wasn't taking a swing at you, hope you don't think I was.
Steve M.- No one ever accused you of not having cahones
My point is that when some one asks "who ended the auction early and would they identify themselves?" and then that person gets trashed, it certainly doesn't make anyone else eager to receive the same treatment especially when I know that a couple of the "trashers" have done the exact same thing in the past but don't have the guts to admit it.
Sorry if it sounds like I was venting, I guess I was. For example, I'll be honest, I needed the 1910 150 series Obak Wolverton to complete my set and yes I emailed the seller before there was a single bid to see if he might end the auction early and sell it to me. I had been looking for 8 years for the card. The seller said he preferred to let the auction run (I ALWAYS let my own auctions run full term) and I respect that. The main reason I emailed him was to make sure someone else didn't make an offer to him and the card would disappear. Based on my assurances from the seller, I felt comfortable and went all out on the card, having a snipe bid almost $600 more than the card sold for because I desperately needed the card. The funny thing is at auction the card went for almost the exact figure I offered the seller.
Would I do it again? You bet. I generally do this only once or twice a year but would do it again if it were a card that I just couldn't find anywhere else. What I DON'T like is someone posting some sanctimonious b.s. that ending auctions early is unethical and yet they have done it before but won't admit it, that's all.