Thread: I got scammed
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 08:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
1) Have you ever filed a claim and received your money back? I personally know many people that have been defrauded out of thousands of dollars with USPS Money Orders. USPS was little to no help at all. If the guy that cashes it was the recipient the USPS is done.

2) This is completely false.

The value of USPS Money orders in the past was that they could be cashed at a PO counter for cash. Show up with package and MO, cash the MO and ship the package and at the same time generate a transaction receipt with a tracking number. That is no longer the case as the USPS rarely has cash in their drawers.

Sending a USPS MO to an unknown individual was and always will be just as dangerous as any other form of payment.

YMMV
I recently sent USPS money orders for a few thousand dollars for cards and their bank held up funds for close to a week before they put the money in their account. Now they limit them to $1000 each and if over $3000 total you need to fill out paper work. Wish I would have know that before I got there.

It amazed me but after a little research fake postal money orders are fairly common.