View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post

Makes you think that in certain sets some of the presumed rarities must be akin to urban legends. I imagine they got started a long time when Burdick or Barker or one of the other pioneers had random difficulty finding a certain card, and concluded that that card was a scarcity, when it's clear with a larger sample that the reverse is true.

Thoughts? Other instances of these "false rarities"? I would welcome actual discussion of cards
I believe Tim is correct in this statement, and the other members pointing out the possible source of this scarcity legend. I believe that folks have graded more of these 'believed to be' rarities just because they have been identified as such. My guess is that if these cards had not been identified as scarce, their grading numbers would fall more in line with the rest of the set.
I found the Levey and Bartell cards to be somewhat more difficult to locate, but as they say, nothing to write home about.

The E90-1 set with its various levels of scarcity and long standing ideas on which cards are tough would be another example, as can be seen on the Kraken thread and other threads that have been posted here about the set.

Brian