View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Reznikoff said it isnt available to the general public. this one IS available to the general public, thus logic says it can't be a spectral comparator.

But of course it is one so we know what hot air is.

It might do a few impressive things but not for autograph authentication.

Both Grad and Renikoff mention the show CSI when talking about this machine. They are trying to play off of current pop culture to try to impress people.

psa, jsa and reznikoff own one.

psa and jsa like to say they use it to check for erasures on a baseball.

Jsa certed a signed babe ruth baseball that was still in the holder. they didnt take it out of the psa sealed holder. Just took a picture of it still in the holder and put that picture on their cert.

so how could jsa look for erasures if they didnt hold the baseball in their hands or put it in the machine, yet just went off the psa certification?

Is that how they do autograph authentication these days?

why have the machine if they won't use it?

Because they didnt want to tell the customer they would have to break the psa seal to take the ball out of the cube to examine it. So they didn't examine it up close.

They didn't have any incentive to do so, since it was 'safe' in their eyes to simply cert the ball because it had psa certification. but is that autograph authentication or just a way of doing business?

The submitter didn't care, he just wanted the cert., He is chasing certs and it doesn't matter to him if the signature is 'real' or not, or if the ball has erasures on it. He got his jsa cert, along with the psa one, and if he didn't get a 2nd, independent verification of the signature and ball, he doesn't care.

he wasn't looking for a 2nd, independent verification of the signature and ball, he just wanted the double cert, otherwise he might say "Aren't you even going to take it out of the ball holder and look at it?"

But breaking the seal means he would have to take it back to psa and get it re-sealed for a fee. So please JSA, just take a picture of it and give me that cert! Psa already gave me one. You are safe. Jsa did an inspection of the ball through the cube. They already admit they will inspect your autograph through a frame as well. Welcome to the brave new world of autograph authentication.

So back to the spectral comparator, did it do any good in this instance?

What's the line? "Any weapon unused is a useless weapon"? The same goes for tools.

Certainly if the tool wasn't used (And I have little doubt that it wasn't used -I'm not sure if it will work through plastic, probably not) Then it did no good.

But some of your comments show a total ignorance of what the machines capabilities can tell you about an autograph.

The short of it. The machine can do some level of spectrographic analysis of the inks used on a document. Meaning it can probably tell old ink from new ink. They're not specific in the stuff I read as to how detailed it can be, but it can do that.

So properly used it can likely tell if say a Ruth ball was signed with 30's ink or 2000's ink. If you had a good library of ink formulations and the machine generates enough detail you could probably tell the brand. (And maybe more)

Steve B