View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I've moved around a lot. I've been living in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area for the past 12 years, but I grew up in New Orleans and lived there about 15 years, so my NFL team (the Saints) isn't too surprising.

We'd go to games at the Astrodome every few years when I was a kid since there wasn't anyone else within a day's drive, but I was a Giants fan then and always rooted against the 'stros until, many years later, as a grad student in Albuquerque I started dating a Houston girl and going to games at Enron Minute Maid Park with her. They've been my team since then, and I've been married to that girl for 15 years now.

I became a sports fan in general at around the time Mario Lemieux was first making a name for himself and, mainly because of him, and because there weren't any remotely local teams anyway, I decided the Penguins would be my hockey team. They remain so.

The NBA story is longer, and this is a bit prolix as it is, but when I was in Albuquerque the Fox Sports affiliate carried the games of the only team in our time zone, the Denver Nuggets, and I adopted them as my team at that time. For a solid year I had myself convinced that Carmelo was better than LeBron.

In the past decade now I've seen the Saints win their first Super Bowl, the Astros win their first World Series, and, well, the Penguins win the Stanley Cup every few years. I don't want to count my chickens prematurely, but the Nuggets (the Nuggets!) are neck and neck with the Warriors in the West for the #1 seed.