View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM

Default 1965 Topps original art

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-4-3memorabilia View Post
Wanted to get a few opinions on Topps Vault items. Looks like some of the items are pretty interesting while others not so much. I picked this up to go along with my 1965 Topps set (mostly because it says Mickey Mantle) was only $25 but does anyone know what it was used for? on the COA it mentions it being art, I don't think its a printing plate. It has that old 1960's tape that turned yellow on it. Maybe it was used as a concept for Topps before they made the cards? What do you guys think it was used for? Thanks- Anthony
It looks like you have the version of original art used for the 1965 Mantle card. It is not an exact match, but is very similar to the back of the card. I really like that Topps has been selling this cool stuff. I have a few original file copies of actual final product cards which were held in binders at Topps since they were produced. You occasionally see other file copies and similar items for sale on eBay...being resold well after their initial purchase directly from The Topps Vault. I would think that these highly collectible items are either already sitting in great collections or still held at Topps because they have not yet been offered for sale. Your Mantle piece is most likely a one of one and it has a much higher value than your $25 purchase price. There are many copies of the 65 Mantle card out there, but probably only one of your piece.
By the way, the card forum guys would appreciate this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.3 KB, 707 views)

Last edited by horzverti; 05-10-2014 at 11:52 AM.