View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 11:55 PM

I hear you guys, but even that Cleveland pennant was silk screened. The base layer in white would have been the first layer applied; and, it would have been screened on. No question. It had to be. Otherwise, the red felt would show through the white lettering, making it look pinkish.

On the other hand, the secondary color applications may not have been screened on.... I'm still trying to figure that out because I think that look is really cool. I believe they called that a "color gradient" because, well, the color goes from dark to light to nothing. Typically, this mystery maker applied this effect to the text (which was white) that ran across the pennant, moving in a horizontal line, from top to bottom or bottom to top.

Here's some White Sox and Yankees pennants that feature a two-color gradient. Both were made by the same unknown manufacturer as part of a whole series of mostly monochrome pennants featuring a ball running through the team's name. This "ball through the name" series was made throughout the 1950s and includes a dated 1951 Tigers pennant as well as a ca. 1958 Los Angeles Dodgers pennant.

It's possible they created this gradient by air brushing the colors atop the white base layer. It's also possible they screened it on, using the squeegee like a brush, applying a quick burst of pressure while gradually letting that pressure diminish. Or maybe they rolled the ink on with a roller? Who knows? But it is a very cool look.

I don't believe ADFLAG made either the Cleveland or this Sox or Yankees pennants; but, ADFLAG did make a San Francisco Giants pennant using the same technique.

[I know Rob will happily post it soon enough....]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (18).jpg (17.3 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg image (17).jpg (9.0 KB, 486 views)