View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Frank Wakefield

I think that Leon attempting a brief meeting, Mr. Orlando allowing it, and the way it went, all of that was a good thing to post.

I perceive that graded cards are a problem for the hobby, and we'd all be better off as hobbyists if grading had never appeared. Then some collectors would learn a bit more about what they're collecting. Now, some folks just collect slabs. Slabs were good for the sports card business, but not the hobby. I recognize that I'm in an infinitesimal minority with that perception, but then 'majority rule' doesn't mean 'majority right'. Still, from reading the first post, it seems that Mr. Orlando cares about the hobby, that's good.

As for who did more for the hobby, I think Mr. Burdick tops that list, with Mr. Lipset right up there. So I agree with those two posts that suggested that.

Mr. Carter was a nice, civil, kindhearted gentleman, who knew cards. There have been several collectors like that. Mr. Burdick and Mr. Lipset gathered knowledge and published it for all of us to use... that seems more significant and more important for the hobby.

These guys knew a bit about old ball cards, and they shared their knowledge so that we could better enjoy the hobby...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-13-2011 at 08:53 AM.