View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I spent the better part of two days there, and I really enjoyed my time. I was able to put a face to a few names/handles, and I appreciated the ability to talk shop more than I had in the past when I knew no one.

I thought the quality of material was pretty solid (as least for what I collect.) Were prices high? Sure. They always are at the Natty. But I found some reasonable dealers. Don Hontz had some well priced cards, and James Basch had a killer case. AJ's case was stacked as well. I always love Brady and Jeff's offerings. Brady was more than fair on a couple cards, and Jeff sold me an '85 Donruss Mattingly 10 that is now the centerpiece of my '85 Donruss Mattingly collection.

I lived in Chicago for 7 years and I love that city, but the IX is better than the Stephens Convention center. The space is laid out well, and the lighting makes the cards pop. The Internet didn't affect me, but I can see how it would impact dealers. Again, a good place for a show; it's just too bad that you're in a virtual desert, devoid of any culture or places worth visiting in that immediate area.

The only complaint I have is that some dealers could not be less accommodating. I might visit a booth 4 times with no other customers and it was like pulling teeth to get attention. I don't get it. Maybe I look like a schlub, but I was there to spend. At least Levi hired some attentive folks (maybe family?). That's the first time in 10 shows someone in his booth has ever proactively addressed me.

Back to prices, I snapped a pic of one guy who was super nice, but maybe not that motivated. $18K for a 33 Ruth A anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg natty 2.jpg (69.2 KB, 1070 views)