View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 06:05 AM
Brian Taylor

Interesting post Robert. Got me thinking a little ... I've been into pre-war collecting for a few years now. What motivates my collecting is owning cards of players or stories I've learned about over my many years of being a baseball fan. I'd read lots of baseball history starting as a young boy and continue to do so, so acquiring cards of Hall of Famers but also someone like Fred Merkle or Jack Quinn or Lefty Williams or Jeff Tesreau connected me to those stories I'd read. Now have many T206's, CJs, E cards, a few 19th century, etc

Now you've given me a different viewpoint ... the idea of collecting cool-looking cards and THEN read and learn about the players on those cards. For me, I think specifically of the Obak's. I've found my eye drawn to them many times as I see them posted here on NET54. Beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. I've acquired just one, but have resisted the urge to divert collecting funds to purchasing more of them. But curse you Robert, you've given me reason to reconsider! Getting the card and then learn the back story. More temptations!