View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Phillip, it does matter. The demand for '52 Mantles isn't all coming from collectors. In fact, I would venture that a large percentage of 52 mantles are bought by people who aren't serious collectors. Guys buy that card as a status symbol. Actors,hedge-fund managers, bigwigs, they buy the card because it is perceived by non-collectors as the card to own. Nearly every collector on this thread has either said they would prefer the green Cobb or that it is a close call. Real collectors respect and want both pretty equally. So why isn't the demand nearly as high on the green Cobb? I think it is in large part due to non-collectors or fringe collectors.
As I mentioned earlier, I would have liked to have seen the question posed as a '52 mantle vs an equally priced Cracker Jack Cobb. I think the majority of serious collectors jump all over the CJ.
Yes. I am aware of this. I would argue that if you do buy a card, you are a collector, even if you only have that 1 card. You cross from the person that doesn't care to one who has influenced the market and are a part of it in some way.

What I read here, is how iconic it is and how others that will never buy one know what it is not what the investor class is. If you are investing 20k to 500k on a baseball card, are you not going to do any homework to find out what other cards may be more investible before purchasing? Perhaps if you bought one, you may also buy the other. To assume that no one who buys the 52 Topps mantle does not know about a green Cobb is presumptuous. Mantle is a legendary Yankee. The Yankees have a huge following. There are a lot of people who also know who Ty Cobb is. Detroit baseball goes way back also.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 03-05-2017 at 06:32 PM.