View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default here is the deal with SGC "authentic"

Posted By: David

My feeling is that this service will be fairly pricey and not used on run of the mill cards. I think Plasticdog's point about the cards not being able to be graded by the owner if it's in plastic is an excellent one, and that alone should prevent it's widespread use. However, I think there are cases where 'judge to be authentic' without grading is resonable and maybe even desirable. A T206 Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb back, where the edges were handcut is a good example. I agree with Plasticdog that some indication of grade would be most desirable ('Vg but handcut' or 'Ex appearance but trimmed on all edges so we can't give grade'), but in this case plain 'Judge to be Authentice' is a respectable alternative.

What and how to entomb should be done on a case by case basis, but I think if the 'judged authentic' service is done it should be done on altered cards (assuming that the alteration is not so extensive as cause legitimate questions about the card's integrity-- example, less than half the card is there). Otherwise, I don't know what the point of the service would be. If it's not altered and can be graded, then it should be graded.

I don't wish to beat a dead horse, but I reiterate that the straight use of an 'authentic' header withouth propor explanation, at least when applied to special material, is fundamentally unsound and PSA did a grave mistake in choosing to go this way. In the fine arts, if you did this to a valuable painting, you would be laughed off the stage. One of the main tennats in examination of fine arts is that your formal written judgement is your opinion and cannot be represented as Word from God. It is fine to say on occasion, "In my opinon, I am virtually certain that this painting is authentic," but you never say "This is 100% authentic and there is no question about it." The 'authentic' title without propor explaintin is saying the later. If someone says he all the answers and can give absolute opinions of esoteric matierial, this is proof by itself that they don't know what they are doing. The properly trained will freely say that she does't have all the answers and absolute answers can't be given, and any Letter of Authenticy or Letter of Examination will clearly indicate that they are offering their opinion.

If they are going to use the 'absolute' designation, SGC and PSA has to indicate that it is their judgement and preferebly include an explantion. "Judged to be authentic" is a resonable designation. "Authentic" followed by "After examining this card, we beleive this card to be authentic" is resonable."