View Single Post
Old 01-31-2002, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Default here is the deal with SGC "authentic"

Posted By: leon

Hey Elliot,
Only in the spirit of a friendly debate am I defending my opinion here. Heck, there probably will be no right or wrong answer, but there will be an ultimate decision on SGC's part if they do this or not. This thread is a good thing with bringing all points of view together, at least for those folks that even consider a slab. I am not trying to team up with Scott here although his position is close to mine. Go back and read his statement (and am not speaking for him either..his neck is bigger than my thigh....ugh..and I wouldn't do that)... he said 99% of the people know the difference between a dover and real.( that is true). He also said

"again the principal purpose of this grading standard seems to enable the owner to validate the originality of a card and assign his own grade. which i support!"

he is talking about the grading standard (potentially "authtentic") helping the owner be comfortable it is not tampered with, NOT that the owner knows it anyway.....I believe Scott knows that is one of the problems with cards. (not being able to tell it's been altered)

Maybe I missed something (have before) but I think you might have missed his point. Bottom line for me is I want a card in a holder that I know has not been altered but I don't need someone else to tell me the wrinkle they see with a microscope on the back of my '25 Gehrig lowers it 2 grades.....I would also support an authentic but altered slab with the type of altering found....so far this sounds good...who knows what SGC's response will be as there is probably something we are not thinking about..I have utmost confidence that SGC will make a good case for whatever they do or don't do though...best regards and thanks for the good feedback ya'll........