Thread: Fort Washington
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: julian

I went to the show all three days. It was nice to see everybody again since last year. I bought three T200 Fatima's, Philadelphia Athletics, Phillies, and the Pittsburgh Pirates. I bought them from the same dealer, "Vintage Cards- Rand & Alice Bailey," from West Virginia. Surprisingly, they had a lot of early vintage stuff from Cabinets, Post Cards, and Vintage Baseball cards. I also purchased an 1921 E121 Harry Heilmann SGC 5.5, very sweet, and a tough hall of famer to find in any condition.

I went home without the "piece" that made my Sunday. Originally, I didn't want to go on Sunday, but Sunday ended up being my best day. After I drove Andy Madec to the airport, he gave me his dealer badge to get in for the last day. I went again to Rand & Alice's table, and there it was, a post card from 1912 with Smokey Joe Wood, and Walter Johnson, shaking hands before the start of the series. A customer informed the pair that he could not afford the piece, I jumped right in after looking at this object in their cases. I went to SGC, and they went looking for Kevin Struss, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, Brian Bigelow, both of Mastro, for their input on this post card. SGC actually asked me if I knew anyone else in the building who was good with this type of stuff, I ended up dragging John Spencer over to give his view's on the piece. Around the elbow of Walter Johnson was the "copyright" seal. It read, 1912, and the photographer or someone after the date.

I'll have to wait to exclaim it a "minor" find, but take my word for it, it was a "striking" piece, one of a kind type. I hope, when SGC is done their research, I'll be able to put an image of it up on the board for viewing, and of course, discussion.

Big Thanks to John Spencer, and Mike Williams, and my good buddies, Marc Perna-Vintage Investments, and Andy Madec, they kept me talking vintage baseball all weekend.